Letters/Strongly Worded Suggestions to the Editors

contact us @ Basslinesandscreams@gmail.com

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Exclusive Interview: Yesterday's Heroes


Bass Lines and Screams recently caught up with Kevin Gallant, guitarist and backup vocalist for Boston-based punk band Yesterday's Heroes. Hear what Gallant had to say in this BLS exclusive.

What inspired you personally to get into music?

Gallant: Personally, I started out playing violin at about age 6. I grew up in Dracut, MA and they had an awesome music program in the public schools. The violin teacher would come into the first and second grade class rooms and do a presentation. In first grade I really wanted to do it, but my mother said that if the next year I was still into it I could. And that started me on this. In about 5th grade I heard Pearl Jam for the first time, and that made me want to pick up a guitar. I started my first band my first year of high school. Granted we sucked something awful, but it was a ton of fun. At the time the scene in Lowell and Dracut was booming. There were shows every weekend, and the bands were fantastic. Going to these church halls and basements when I was 13 and 14 really made me want to get involved.

Who do you listen to most?

Gallant: The band with the most plays on my iTunes is Against Me. Really one of my favorite current bands. I tend to be all over the board. Everything from Springsteen to Lucero to The Fake Boys to Blood for Blood.

What are your thoughts on the music industry today?

Gallant: I haven't listened to the radio in god knows how long. Frankly I think 98% of it is absolute shit. With the advent of social media and the internet bands don't really need the "industry" any more. It's so easy to self release things these days, anybody can do it. But it's also a double edged blade. The market is so saturated and labels just aren't making the money, so a lot of bands that should be getting the financial support now just aren't. Wither it's labels unwillingness to take a risk unless someone is a sure money maker I'm not sure. As someone who puts most of his paycheck into his band and trying to make things happen it's a bit discouraging. Maybe I'm just a cynic.

Talk about the Boston punk scene. Do you see the scene growing or shrinking in the future?

Gallant: As far as I'm concerned, Boston and punk rock are synonymous. It's always been one of the strongest scenes I've seen anywhere and I'm positive it will be for a long time. There is always something going on and always awesome people to hang with. It can be tough to get people out to your show sometimes with the sheer volume of bands and shows going on, but too much of a good thing isn't a bad thing in this case.

Where will we see Yesterday's Heroes five years from now?

Gallant: Five years? Shit, we'll all be 30, broken down, and ready for the grave. Seriously though, who knows? Hopefully we'll still be recording, touring, and having the time of our lives. It's all about having fun, isn't it? We'll all probably have a little less hair, and we'll all be a little bit fatter.

If you could show every music fan in the world one song of yours, what would it be?

Gallant: It would definitely be one of our new songs called "Lost in Translation". We're headed down to Norfolk, VA to record an EP in July and it's going to be on it. It's really probably one of the most heartfelt and relatable songs we've ever written. I get so jacked up every time we play it.

Anything in closing?

Gallant: Get out from behind the computers and cell phones. Come to shows. Hang out. Buy us beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment