Letters/Strongly Worded Suggestions to the Editors

contact us @ Basslinesandscreams@gmail.com

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Exclusive Interview: Bobby, Spies Like Us


Basslines and Screams chatted with Bobby Fitzgerald, vocalist of the popular post hardcore band Spies Like Us, in an exclusive interview. See what Fitzgerald had to say in this one on one.

What inspired you personally to get into music?

Fitzgerald: I started playing piano at the age of 9. Since then I have clearly changed genres of music. I was essentially forced into screaming [laughs]. But I got into the genre I play when I was about 16 I'd say. Starting with Atreyu, Avenged Sevenfold (when they were good :)), then listening to a lot of Whitechapel and Miss May I which is where my main influence comes from.

Who do you listen to most?

Fitzgerald: I'd say the bands I listen to most now would be Whitechapel, Miss May I, Memphis May Fire, Winds of Plague, Within The Ruins, and DevilDriver to be honest. A lot of different styles of the same music. I feel that having a variety in interests expands what I can do for my own band. I practice to those bands most and try to use all of the good things they do in my own music.

What are your thoughts on the music industry today?

Fitzgerald: My thoughts on the industry now a days are that it is not that same as it was and not how it should be. To everyone it's all about the money. Well, I shouldn't say everyone but to most. I just wish local shows weren't so expensive. The price to go see your favorite bands is ridiculous. Most kids' way to escape daily anxiety, depression, and overall problems is music, and I know from personal experience that seeing my favorite bands perform great live is so amazing; it's such a happy, uplifting feeling. There are a lot of changes that need to be made but most likely won't. But in the end without the industry no one would have the oppurtunity to do what we're doing and for that we all have to stay grateful for what we get. Life is very rarely fair, so make the best of what you have and always stay true to yourself. You come first. Thats how it should be.

Where will we see Spies Like Us five years from now?

Fitzgerald: I hope to see Spies doing the same but more in 5 years. I would do anything to be touring 8-10 months out of the year. A lot of great things are happening for us now and I have no one else to thank but all the people that have supported us from the start, having faith in us as a band. Everyone has to start somewhere and seeing from where we started I am very satisfied to the level we have come.

If you could show every music fan in the world one song of yours, what would it be?

Fitzgerald: I would show everyone "Happy Endings Only Happen In Movies." I feel that's the most progressive song we have. The lyrics, music, and everything in between have a lot to do with the direction we're heading and the inspiration we have. It shows that we're not looking to sell out. I want to always stay the way we are and honestly grow heavier as we go but, keep our melodic choruses to showcase Joe's voice and our harmonies live. The lyrics I wrote for that song came straight from the heart. This world is filled with a lot of corruption and lies and it takes yourself and no one else to overcome all of that and really take things into your own hands and do what's best for yourself because you are the only one that matters in the end. Thats the basic plot of the song and I love that song truly.

Anything in closing?

Fitzgerald: In closing I would just love to thank everyone that has been there for us, coming to most shows we play. The support means the world to me. To see people singing and dancing to all of our songs is the greatest feeling I have ever felt. I can make this promise and keep this promise that I will never become big headed, cocky, or conceded in anyway. It's all about the music, play what you enjoy, do what you love and do whatever it takes to keep you happy. Playing shows has become a part of my life I feel I could never lose. It's a dream come true to be at the level we are and I can't stress enough how grateful we all are to have the fans and amazing support we've been granted. I wish I could name off everyone to thank but, if you have ever supported us in anyway from buying merch, getting our song on Itunes, or just telling your friends about us, we are forever grateful and it's people like that that keep our dream going. We love you dearly and will continue to stay true to our fans and play shows strictly for the love of it and the fans we have.

No comments:

Post a Comment